Saturday, March 6, 2010

A Room With a View by E.M. Forster

A young woman decides for herself that society’s rules about who she can marry aren't going to work for her

On this second go round, I decided I didn’t really like the novel all that much, (although I admired how concise it was – not a wasted word). I liked all the different characters – fully developed with the most economical strokes. The third person narrator too aggressively charming – with bared teeth. Lucy Honeychurch is kind of an indecisive dope. I wonder if marrying a railroad clerk was ever much of an obstacle. The putative obstacle, that of a suitor unsuitable because of class distinctions, has no meaning today, and I suspect was a 6 inch obstacle in Forster’s time. Only the silliest characters think it an issue. And so, a result, the stakes were low for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment